Wednesday, March 26, 2008

bakeware

So for Christmas, Josh's parents got us many things for our kitchen. All of which we have used except for the Lodge Cast Iron skillet and Belgian waffle maker. Now the skillet I have not used mainly because it is so heavy and I can barely lift it out of the cupboard. The waffle maker I have not used because it is stored so high above me that I tend to a.) forget we even have it or b.) want to use it when Josh is not there to get it down for me. I do have a fabulous step stool for getting those things that are out of my reach but the cupboard that fit the waffle maker...just TOO high.
So last night I was preparing some cornbread to take to a little c-group dinner and the recipe called to make it in a cast iron skillet. I decided to improvise and use a good-old 9x13 casserole because I didn't own a skillet. Then I remembered why the cupboard shelf is about to collapse...the Lodge Casserole/Skillet!!
I had doubled the recipe due to making it for a larger group and in a 9x13 and the thought did not even cross my mind until I turned on the oven light to check the progress and saw that the cornbread had expanded all the way to the top of the pan. I said a quick prayer and alas, the bread did not rise beyond its borders. I measured the lid and it was almost 12 inches across. The recipe called for a 10-inch skillet so I think that extra 2 inches saved my life, and my oven.

Anyway, I absolutely loved using my new skillet and can't wait to make something else in it. The only problem, it really is the heaviest cooking item I own, the website says it weighs 16 lbs!!! Oh, and the cornbread was delicious. If you want to try it yourself, here is the single recipe, double it for a large group or if you want a really thick cornbread and own the Lodge Enamel Casserole Skillet!

Cornbread
In a medium bowl combine dry ingredients:
1 cup flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2-3 Tbsp sugar (use 3 if you like a sweeter cornbread)
Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl:
1 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil or melted butter

Heat oven to 400F, once preheated, put 1 Tbsp butter in 10-inch cast-iron skillet and place in oven to melt butter, about 3 minutes. When butter is melted, swirl around in pan to coat bottom and edges. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients, stir until all combined. Pour into hot skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes or it passes the toothpick test.

Enjoy...I tried to remember this recipe off the cuff so there may be corrections posted. ;) I'll have a picture later today if I get home before Josh and can snap a shot of that last piece in the pan!


Posted by Picasa


ae

1 comment:

  1. sounds yummy

    i miss those treats you and lacey would always cook :o)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete