Thursday, June 12, 2008

My parents

So my parents were hit with that nasty weather that struck the Midwest last weekend. A huge tree fell on their house and they have been without power since Sunday evening. It is now Thursday… that is a very long time to be without electricity when you are not camping! Back in November their church had planned to have a spaghetti supper just to invite people to come and have a free meal. They had originally planned to do a bunch of promotion and mailings to the community but it never happened. So they were still planning the dinner but had no idea how many people would come. Wednesday came around and that was the day they were planning to have the dinner. There were still quite a few people without power (oh about 150,000 at that time) but one of their people called the local news and told them about the dinner and listed it on some community boards. They ended up having a good turnout, my dad said about 75 people came. I have been thinking about helping people this week and this was just another reminder of people who work to help other people. They also made it on the news for about 3 seconds if you want to see it. They are Union Lake Church of the Nazarene about halfway through the video. I've met the guy that they talk to but I cannot remember his name now. They still didn't have power at the church so they had lots of people helping out to prepare the food at their homes and transport it there to be warmed.

I love stories like this.

Josh gets home tomorrow. I don't know how he is going to reclaim his spot in the bed…Charlie has thoroughly enjoyed all the room this week. J

Psalm 57:9-11

I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples.
For great is your love, reaching to the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies.
Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth.

Lamentations 3:21-23

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:
Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

God's love is so great. His song comes in the morning light. I just spoke with my dad and the tree that has been lying across their house since Sunday is finally being removed, as I type this. Oh, and the tree fell while they were at church so they were spared from even being near that. And their house will need some repairs where the tree hit it but it is livable for now.

Happy Thursday, it's almost Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment