Monday, August 22, 2011

books I'm reading

I recently joined a group of ladies from church for a small group. We all wanted some kind of group and it kind of just fell together and is working out very well so far. We are going through some books together and learning a lot. It is great to process things with other people and we are really challenging each other and holding each other accountable. It has been great to have a desire to read again because I really do love to read and lately it seems like I only read children's books (to the girls)!

The first book we went through was Victory Over the Darkness by Neil T. Anderson. I really learned a lot about some of the lies that satan puts in my path and learned some tips to believe God's truths in those times instead of letting satan get that area of my life in his grip. The biggest takeaway I found in this book is that God has created me to do exactly what I am doing and I am the only person that can do this job. That has helped me to find much more joy in what I do each day and also to be sure I am doing things that are pleasing to God.

The second book we went through was The Bondage Breaker also by Neil T. Anderson. This book is about "overcoming negative thoughts, irrational feelings and habitual sins." From the back cover, it "reveals the whys and hows of spiritual warfare and exposes satan's battle for your mind...shares the powerful truth that will break even the most stubborn habits or private sins." I enjoyed reading this book as well and it helped to understand some of the ways that we fall prey to satan's tricks and about how to be set free of those things.

We are just starting Crazy Love by Francis Chan and I am really looking forward to reading this book and processing it with my group.
I am also reading Holiness for Ordinary People by Keith Drury and so far I am loving it. I will share more thoughts when I finish it or get past the second chapter!
I have been reading the book of 1 John every day just to have a small section of Truth to focus on throughout the day.

Have a wonderful day!

1 John 2:17 The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment